Monday, December 31, 2012
Project 52--The Grand Finale
And, in some ways, it's the end of Project 52 as you've known it. But there will be more details on that this Wednesday.
1. Volunteer for a political campaign.
Fail. I got so burned out during campaign season that I just couldn't handle it.
2. Go 100 days without soda. (Total, not in a row.) 35/100
3. Get rid of my storage unit.
Success. It's gone. Which saves me 50 bucks a month.
4. Talk Amber into teaching me how to make her homemade wheat bread.
Fail. Amber moved and we've only gotten together once since March.
5. Get peek-a-boo highlights.
Success. Sadly, all the pink has faded, but I'm totally redoing it when I can.
6. Read A Game of Thrones.
7. Open a trading account and learn how to buy and sell stocks.
Fail. Not even a little bit.
8. Run a 5K.
9. Take The Nephew somewhere cool.
I wish. I haven't gotten to spend any time with The Nephew this year.
10. Read Les Miserables en français.
I haven't even seen Les Mis yet.
11. Buy a suit.
12. Visit Erin at school.
Success! And so much fun!
13. Take Stephen to a sporting event.
I tried. But he's busy being a college frat boy. Sad face.
14. Go to a movie with Marc.
I tried. But he's busy being a lawyer, husband and sad. Sad face.
15. Have a girls day with Kristi.
I admit that I didn't try as hard on this one as I should have.
16. Have a girls day with Mom.
I think I technically can count this one done, but it didn't happen in the way I originally meant it.
17. Go to the Reagan Library with Dad.
Totally done and it rocked.
18. Read the Book of Mormon in 30 days.
Nope. Not in 30 days.
19. Visit 2 local museums. 0/2
I thought about counting some of the places I saw in DC, but they didn't really fit my definition of "local."
20. Write a research paper. For fun.
I meant to. But I didn't.
21. Go to a state or county fair and eat something fried.
Didn't go to a state fair. Didn't go to a county fair. Did eat something fried, but it was normal. Not, like, a Twinkie or anything.
22. Go to the beach 3 times. 1/3
I live 10 miles from the ocean. This is pathetic.
23. Get a new comforter for my bed.
I picked one out. I just never got around to buying it.
24. Update 72 hour kit.
Didn't touch it.
25. Go to the gym 5 times in a single week.
I did this one!! And it was awesome.
26. Watch 3 documentaries. 3/3
Let's see if I can remember them...Being Elmo (before all that weird sex scandal stuff), Life in a Day, and this thing about the Titanic, but I can't remember what it was called.
27. Go to 2 limited release films. 1/2
Only made it to 1: People Like Us. And I really liked it.
28. Watch 30 movies from my Netflix list. 18/30
I don't know how I failed at this one, but I did.
29. Reinvent my wardrobe.
I...bought more shoes...
30. Sing karaoke.
Done! And it only took the first 75 out of 90 minutes to get warmed up for it.
31. Visit 5 temples, one of which I haven't yet been to. 1/5
I only went to Newport Beach. Didn't make it to any others. I suck.
32. Go to an NFL game.
I watched a lot of them on TV with our Direct TV Sunday Ticket package...
33. Go to Disneyland 15 times. 10/15
My pass expired in August and I haven't renewed it yet. Otherwise, I totally would have done this.
34. Get one of my photographs printed on canvas.
Never did get around to it.
35. Audition for the OCMCO.
Auditioned and got in!
36. Volunteer in the Bishop's Storehouse.
I'm a sucky volunteer.
37. Get my picture taken in front of the White House.
I totally did.
38. Visit my blog friends in NorCal.
Never even ventured north of San Luis Obispo.
39. Ride in a hot air balloon.
40. Try eggs benedict.
Done. Twice. So yummy.
41. Have a fondue party.
42. Send Christmas cards.
43. Get serious about my writing. Finish novel. Submit two short stories. Enter a competition. Post on my fiction blog at least monthly.
I waited until halfway through December to get serious. I've written 3 chapters of my novel in the past two weeks. Which, for me, is very good.
44. Take a Spanish class.
Never did get around to it.
45. Start seeing a therapist.
And I'll be seeing that therapist for years.
46. Go to a singles' event.
I lost all desire to do this. I realized I don't particularly enjoy most single people. There are only a few exceptions and you know who you are.
47. Find a new Indian restaurant.
We found three!
48. Interview 2 people for the Karen Peterson project. 0/2
49. Pass the Handgun certification test.
You can't fail if you don't try...
50. Get together with 3 people I don't know very well. 5/3
I actually kind of rocked at this one. I met a lot of new people this year.
51. Learn to play a song on the piano.
I think I touched a piano twice.
52. Visit a synagogue.
I found someone to take me, but she wants to wait until her new one is finished. So this is going to carry over into next year.
Fifteen. Fifteen things out of 52. Wow. That's not such a great number. But it could be worse. It's 15 things I hadn't done when the year started. And considering what this year was like for me, maybe it's as good as I could have hoped.
But 2012 is coming to an end now and I have..well, not quite high hopes for 2013, but some hopes. Which is good, I guess.
Things are changing. For the better. And I look forward to telling you all about it.
You are awesome. And if you share this post, you'll be even awesomer!